It’s only natural. Below are the most common enquiries we are getting. If you don’t find the answers you’re looking for here, send us a note with questions using our contact form or email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I thought probiotic supplements were used to support gut health, how do they support male and female fertility?
While the largest population of good bacteria in our bodies is found in our gut – the gut microbiome – we now understand that other parts of the body are also populated with these good bacteria. Women have a vaginal microbiome and men have a seminal microbiome and we are beginning to understand that the health of both can have a significant impact on reproductive health, chances of conceiving and healthy pregnancy. When trying to conceive it is important to ensure that both vaginal and seminal microbiomes are as healthy as possible and using a high quality probiotic supplement such as NuaBiome Women or NuaBiome Men is one way to help achieve this.
Who is NuaBiome Women suitable for?
NuaBiome Women is for women who want to ensure they are giving themselves the best nutritional support when trying for a baby.
When should I start using NuaBiome Women?
At Nua Fertility, we recommend that you start to use NuaBiome Women about 3 months before you start to try to conceive. It takes between 3-4 months for a female egg (oocyte) to mature and taking a high-quality prenatal multi-nutrient and probiotic supplement during this period can support this period of maturation and promote good egg health.
However, if you have already started trying to conceive, you can still benefit from starting to take NuaBiome Women at any stage.
Why does NuaBiome Women use methylfolate instead of folic acid?
Methylfolate is the active form of folic acid that is ready for the body to use. Some people cannot convert folic acid efficiently into the methylfolate form therefore it is important to supplement with methylfolate to ensure proper activity of folate in the body and to protect your reproductive health.
I have PCOS, is NuaBiome Women suitable for me?
Yes, current scientific research indicates that supplementation with probiotic supplements, such as NuaBiome Women can have a positive impact on hormone levels in women with PCOS. NuaBiome Women contains the probiotic strains Lactobacillus Rhamnosus and Lactobacillus Gasseri, both have been shown to reduce insulin resistance, the metabolic imbalance that is the main driver of PCOS. Therefore, supplementing with these probiotic strains may help improve PCOS symptoms. Diet and lifestyle changes are also important when addressing PCOS – read our nutrition for PCOS guide here.
I have endometriosis, is NuaBiome Women suitable for me?
NuaBiome for Women is suitable for almost every woman trying to conceive. It may be of particular benefit if you have endometriosis as it contains the probiotic strain Lactobacillus Gasseri, which has been shown to reduce endometrial tissue growth in an animal model of endometriosis.
Endometriosis is linked to an imbalance in oestrogen levels. NuaBiome Women contains the probiotic strain Lactobacillus Rhamnosus GG, which has been shown to help balance oestrogen levels by supporting the excretion of oestrogen from the body via the gut.
Does NuaBiome Women help to balance hormones?
The combination of nutrients and probiotic strains present in NuaBiome Women can support healthy hormone balance. The vitamins B6, B12 and folate work together to support proper oestrogen metabolism and research indicate that a healthy gut microbiome can also support hormone balance. Supplementation with the probiotic strain Lactobacillus Rhamnosus GG has been shown to help balance oestrogen levels.
A Nua Fertility we also think that removing exposure to environmental hormone disruptors is important when trying to conceive, you can find more information here.
How do I know if my vaginal microbiome is healthy?
If you suspect you have a vaginal microbiome that is out of balance you could ask your consultant or healthcare provider about having it tested. Recurrent thrush, urinary tract infections and Bacterial Vaginosis are all signs that your vaginal microbiome may be out of balance.
Can I take NuaBiome Women together with my IVF medication?
Yes, the nutrients and probiotics present will not interfere with any medication you have been prescribed.
Can I use NuaBiome Women at all stages of my IVF treatment/ fertility treatment?
Yes, this supplement is suitable for use at all stages of trying to conceive and all stages of IVF treatment.
I am already taking a fertility multivitamin, can I use NuaBiome Women alongside it?
It is generally not advised to use two multi-nutrient formulations at the same time, this could result in you supplementing with very high doses of certain nutrients, such as zinc and selenium, that may be present in both formulas.
Do I need any other nutritional supplements alongside NuaBiome Women?
At Nua Fertility we also recommend that you use a high-quality omega-3 supplement designed for use during the pre-conception period also consider testing your vitamin D levels to determine whether you require an additional vitamin D supplement to support your reproductive health.
You can read more about the importance of vitamin D for male and female reproductive health here.
I have been prescribed a CoQ10 supplement by my Consultant/ Doctor, can I take NuaBiome Women along with this?
Yes, the dosage of CoQ10 present in NuaBiome Women has been chosen so that it can be used together with additional CoQ10 supplements that may be prescribed by your doctor or other healthcare providers.
When should I start using NuaBiome Men?
We recommend that you begin supplementing NuaBiome Men about three months before you plan to start trying to conceive. Men are constantly producing new sperm, and it takes between 2 and 3 months for these sperm to fully mature. Ensuring you are getting enough of the key nutrients for sperm production with a probiotic supplement can help ensure that the sperm produced at the end of this period are high quality.
If you and your partner have already started trying to conceive, you can still benefit from taking NuaBiome Men at any point.
I have low sperm count, is NuaBiome Men suitable for me?
Yes, a number of the nutrients present in NuaBiome Men have been shown to improve sperm count in clinical trials, for example, a deficiency of the mineral zinc can negatively impact the sperm production process in the testes (spermatogenesis), and zinc supplementation has been shown to improve sperm count. The good bacteria in NuaBiome Men could also improve sperm count, as supplementation with probiotics has been shown to improve sperm count in men with oligoasthenoteratozoospermia.
At Nua Fertility, we also recommend testing your vitamin D levels when trying to conceive, as vitamin D deficiency is very common and is closely linked to poor sperm count. You can read more about the importance of vitamin D for fertility here.
I have low testosterone levels is NuaBiome Men suitable for me?
Yes, NuaBome Men provides 25mg of zinc daily. Zinc is essential to maintain the health of the cells in the testes that produce testosterone, and zinc deficiency can lead to poor testosterone production. In addition, NuaBiome Men is formulated with the probiotic bacteria Lactobacillus Rhamnosus PB01, which has been shown to increase testosterone levels in studies
I have varicocele, is NuaBiome Men suitable for me?
Varicocele can contribute to increased oxidative stress in the seminal fluid, which can cause DNA damage in the sperm and negatively impact sperm quality. Supplementation with a combination of probiotic bacteria and certain antioxidant nutrients (present in NuaBiome Men) can help to protect sperm from the damage caused by oxidative stress.
Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium probiotics have been shown to protect sperm from oxidative stress and prevent DNA damage in sperm. The body uses the mineral selenium to produce a powerful antioxidant called glutathione that has been shown to protect against sperm damage in men with varicocele.
I have poor sperm quality is NuaBiome Men suitable for me?
Yes, the probiotic strains included in NuaBiome Men can support sperm quality in several ways. For example, firstly, the probiotic strains can reduce inflammation and oxidative stress levels, two of the main causes of poor sperm quality. The probiotic strain Lactobacillus Rhamnosus PB01 has been shown to increase testosterone levels in studies, which can also positively impact sperm quality.
In addition, the combination of nutrients present in NuaBiome Men, such as selenium, zinc and CoQ10, have all been associated with improved sperm quality.
I have poor sperm motility, is NuaBiome Men suitable for me?
Yes, the combination of nutrients and probiotic bacteria present in NuaBiome Men has been shown to improve sperm motility in clinical trials. The probiotic strains Lactobacillus Rhamnosus PB01 have been shown to significantly improve sperm motility in studies, as have the nutrients l-arginine, l-carnitine and CoQ10.
I have been prescribed an antibiotic, will this affect the benefits of NuaBiome Women/ NuaBiome Men?
If using an antibiotic medication, we recommend taking your NuaBiome supplement at least 2 hours before or after the antibiotic. In this way, you will prevent the antibiotic medication from interacting negatively with the good bacteria present in the NuaBiome capsule.
What time of day should I take NuaBiome?
You can take these supplements at any time of day, ideally with food.
At Nua, we don’t recommend that you take these supplements at the same time as a cup of tea or coffee, as substances present in tea and coffee may inhibit the absorption of certain nutrients.
Can NuaBiome Women be used alongside medicines?
Yes. NuaBiome Women can be used alongside other medications. As with other food supplements, consult your Doctor or Pharmacist before using if under any medical supervision.
Can everyone take NuaBiome Women/ NuaBiome Men?
Yes, these products are suitable for everyone, however, if you have a long-standing health condition or are taking a prescribed medication please check with your healthcare provider to see if NuaBiome Women or NuaBiome Men are suitable for you.
How should I store NuaBiome Women and NuaBiome Men?
NuaBiome Women and NuaBiome Men should be stored below 25°C/77° and out of direct sunlight. No need for refrigeration.
Are there any undesired effects whilst taking NuaBiome Women or NuaBiome men?
NuaBiome Women has no known side-effects when taken as directed. Always read the product directions before use. Not suitable for children under 18 years. Do not exceed the stated dose. Do not use if foil is broken. Seek medical advice if you are under medical supervision. Or suffer from food allergies. Food supplements must not replace a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.
Always read the product directions before use. Do not exceed the recommended intake. As with other supplements, seek professional advice before using if you are under medical supervision or suffer from food allergies. Food supplements must not replace a varied and balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. This product contains iron, which if taken in excess, may be harmful to young children. Store at room temperature and out of reach of children. This product is designed for women of child-bearing age.
Are NuaBiome Women and NuaBiome Men suitable for vegetarians and vegans?
Both supplements are suitable for vegetarians. However, they contain trace amounts of milk and are unsuitable for those following a vegan diet.
I have a milk allergy is NuaBiome Women/ NuaBiome Men suitable for me?
These products contain trace amounts of milk and therefore are not suitable for anyone with a milk allergy. If you are lactose intolerant or suffer from a sensitivity to milk you may be able to tolerate these supplements as they contain very small amounts which are not likely to trigger a reaction.
Are your products FSAI-registered?
Yes. We follow all FASI guidelines and have all the clearances and registrations.
Do you follow quality manufacturing standards?
Yes. We have an unparalleled commitment to quality throughout the entire manufacturing process. Our global manufacturing partner tests our raw ingredients. Then the production team meticulously crafts each supplement with the utmost consideration for every detail, from mixing the raw materials to encapsulating and bottling the finished product. Our manufacturing partners boast a long list of the most elite third-party quality certifications:
● GMP Certified through NSF for Dietary and Sport
● GMP Certified through Australia’s Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA)
● ISO 9001:2015 Certified through SGS
● Food System Safety Certification 22000
● ISO/IEC 17025:2005 Certified through ANAB
Why is NuaBiome more expensive than some other popular fertility multivitamins on the market?
NuaBiome is two supplements in one: a high-quality multi-nutrient that provides appropriate dosages of key nutrients to support male and female fertility, and a targeted probiotic, which contains specific bacterial strains chosen because of their potential benefits for both male and female fertility.
If you were to purchase all the high-quality nutrients contained in NuaBiome separately, it would be much more expensive than buying the NuaBiome formulation.
- Abd-Elmoaty MA, Saleh R, Sharma R, Agarwal A. Increased levels of oxidants and reduced antioxidants in semen of infertile men with varicocele. Fertil Steril. 2010 Sep;94(4):1531-1534.
- Dardmeh F, Alipour H, Gazerani P, van der Horst G, Brandsborg E, Nielsen HI. Lactobacillus rhamnosus PB01 (DSM 14870) supplementation affects markers of sperm kinematic parameters in a diet-induced obesity mice model. PLoS One. 2017 Oct 10;12(10)
- David W. Keller, Kenneth L. Polakoski, L-Arginine Stimulation of Human Sperm Motility in vitro, Biology of Reproduction, Volume 13, Issue 2, 1 September 1975, Pages 154–157,
- Fallah A, Mohammad-Hasani A, Colagar AH. Zinc is an Essential Element for Male Fertility: A Review of Zn Roles in Men’s Health, Germination, Sperm Quality, and Fertilization. J Reprod Infertil. 2018 Apr-Jun;19(2):69-81.
- Itoh H, Sashihara T, Hosono A, Kaminogawa S, Uchida M. Lactobacillus gasseri OLL2809 inhibits development of ectopic endometrial cell in peritoneal cavity via activation of NK cells in a murine endometriosis model. Cytotechnology. 2011 Mar;63(2):205-10.
- He Y, Wang Q, Li X, Wang G, Zhao J, Zhang H, Chen W. Lactic acid bacteria alleviate polycystic ovarian syndrome by regulating sex hormone related gut microbiota. Food Funct. 2020 Jun 24;11(6):5192-5204.
- He S, Li H, Yu Z, Zhang F, Liang S, Liu H, Chen H, Lü M. The Gut Microbiome and Sex Hormone-Related Diseases. Front Microbiol. 2021 Sep 28;12
- Helli B, Kavianpour M, Ghaedi E, Dadfar M, Haghighian HK. Probiotic effects on sperm parameters, oxidative stress index, inflammatory factors and sex hormones in infertile men. Hum Fertil (Camb). 2020 Sep 27:1-9.
- Le N, Cregger M, Brown V, Loret de Mola J, Bremer P, Nguyen L, Groesch K, Wilson T, Diaz-Sylvester P, Braundmeier-Fleming A. Association of microbial dynamics with urinary estrogens and estrogen metabolites in patients with endometriosis. PLoS One. 2021 Dec 16;16(12):
- Martin Blomberg Jensen, Jacob Gerner Lawaetz, Jørgen Holm Petersen, Anders Juul, Niels Jørgensen, Effects of Vitamin D Supplementation on Semen Quality, Reproductive Hormones, and Live Birth Rate: A Randomized Clinical Trial, The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 103, Issue 3, March 2018, Pages 870–881,
- Mohapatra SK, Ranvir S, Nikam P, David J. Alleviation of Fertility Disorders Based on Probiotics Induced Immune System Improvement: A Review. Crit Rev Biomed Eng. 2019;47(5):427-436.
- Rowe M, Veerus L, Trosvik P, Buckling A, Pizzari T. The Reproductive Microbiome: An Emerging Driver of Sexual Selection, Sexual Conflict, Mating Systems, and Reproductive Isolation. Trends Ecol Evol. 2020 Mar;35(3):220-234.
- Salas-Huetos A, James ER, Aston KI, Jenkins TG, Carrell DT. Diet and sperm quality: Nutrients, foods and dietary patterns. Reprod Biol. 2019 Sep;19(3):219-224.
- Taghizadeh L, Eidi A, Mortazavi P, Rohani AH. Effect of selenium on testicular damage induced by varicocele in adult male Wistar rats. J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2017
- Verma A, Shukla G. Probiotics Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG, Lactobacillus acidophilus suppresses DMH-induced procarcinogenic fecal enzymes and preneoplastic aberrant crypt foci in early colon carcinogenesis in Sprague Dawley rats. Nutr Cancer. 2013;65(1):84-91.