Today’s recipe is delicious and nutritious, combining salmon (which contains vital nutrients such as B vitamins that increase energy, reduce inflammation, and literally build brain cells) and vitamin-packed veg.
It’s important to match the nutritious omega 3 fatty acids in the salmon with a good source of carbohydrates, so that they can work together to provide you with the energy you need now and give your body the ability to store the rest for later. And that’s why this mouth-watering recipe combines animal-based protein with plenty of nutritious veggies.
1-2 cups of chopped sweet potato
1 salmon fillet
10-12 Brussels sprouts, chopped in half
1-2 cups of leafy greens (kale, spinach, arugula – a mix is best)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp of turmeric
½ tsp of pepper
1 tsp of garlic powder
Sea salt to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
1-3 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
1 tsp of honey
- Preheat oven to 450°F degrees.
- On a tray, toss sweet potatoes in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and add salt if you wish.
- Bake until softened (about 30-45 minutes). When done, remove from pan to cool.
- Turn oven down to 350°F.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with seasonings, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and sea salt.
- Roast until softened, about 20 mins.
- Marinate salmon for 10 minutes while veggies bake.
- Add salmon to baking tray and finish roasting for the 10 remaining minutes (adjust cooking time to ensure salmon is thoroughly cooked).
- Flip Brussels sprouts halfway through roasting to get an even roast.
- Sauté kale (or leafy greens) in remaining olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Place greens in a serving bowl followed by sweet potato, Brussels sprouts then salmon. Dress in lemon juice.