This Turmeric Lentil Soup is a simple, healthy, and hearty meal that’s great for digestion and the liver. Lentils are especially rich in prebiotic fibre which promotes digestive function and ‘fuels’ the beneficial gut bacteria which are so important for our health. Turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Easy to make, packed with protein and delicious!
INGREDIENTS TO SERVE
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped turnip or potato
- 2 1/2 cups chopped sweet potato
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 – 2 tablespoons turmeric I like 2
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup fresh herbs I like parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Serving Size: 6 people
Calories: 338 kcal
Saturated Fat: 1g
1. Heat the oil in a large pot. Add onions, celery, turnip, potato, and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes until everything softens slightly. Season with salt, pepper and thyme and cook about 2 minutes.
2. Add lentils, turmeric, ginger, and cumin and sauté 1 – 2 minutes, then add the broth and water. Bring the soup to a boil, cover, and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in almond milk, spinach, herbs, lemon, and pepper flakes until spinach has wilted. Serve immediately!
Turmeric Lentil Soup is a comforting dish and has key ingredients that will certainly fulfill your nutrition quota for the day. So make sure to keep this one handy, especially in this winter season, when our bodies crave soup the most. Click here to get your hands on more recipes by our nutritional therapist – Sarah Trimble.